January is National Soup Month! Makes sense; there couldn’t be a better time to come in out of the cold and warm up with a tantalizing bowl of comfort food!
Don’t forget to check back here every Thursday this month for a soup fact, tip and a new recipe to add to your culinary repertoire!
Today’s fact: American’s sip over 10 billion bowls of soup every year.
Today’s tip: If you need to tone down a heavy garlic flavor when cooking, place a few parsley flakes in a tea bag to soak up all the excess garlic.
Today’s recipe: Spicy Corn Chowder
If you need to tame down this spicy soup some to suit your taste-buds, simply substitute regular sausage for the hot and leave out the green chilies.
• 1 lb hot sausage
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 onion, diced
• 4 potatoes, diced
• 1 clove garlic, diced
• A few dashes of Chipotle Tabasco Sauce
• 4 cups fresh corn
• 1 can diced green chilies (optional)
• 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• salt and pepper, to taste
1. Slice corn kernels off cob. Or, if you’re like me, open the freezer and pull out a bag of corn from the summer when you had way too much sweet corn on your hands and let thaw.
2. Brown sausage over medium heat and drain off grease.
3. In a large pot, over medium heat, drizzle a few tablespoons of EVOO. Throw in diced onion, garlic and potatoes.
4. Add butter and melt. Add chilies and corn. Pour in chicken broth and cream. Add salt, pepper and sausage. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes and serve.
ICGA/ICMB Communications Assistant